Shellac is a Power Polish that has changed the natural nail industry.
Clients ask for it by name, and we know that we can rely on it to give an
amazing 14 day wear with proper home care. There are classes available
around the world to perfect application technique and even add some
artistic elements. However, sometimes a perfect application can be made
more difficult if the Shellac has not been taken care of in the salon. Here
are some suggestions for caring for your Shellac so it’s good to the last
- Shake the bottle thoroughly before each use to disperse the solvents which helps prevent evaporation and thickening.
- Close the cap firmly when not in use. This will prevent solvent from evaporating in between services. It may be necessary to clean the neck of the bottle after use to ensure a tight closure.
- Do not expose the bottle to light without the cap firmly in place. Exposure to light can begin the curing process, this includes sunlight and table lamps.
- Replace the cap any time you are not actually applying the product. This limits evaporation as well as exposure to light.
- Use Shellac when the bottle is at room temperature. This will insure good consistency for application and eliminate fast evaporation of the solvents.
Unfortunately not taking care of your Shellac will cause issues that cannot
be undone. Some commonly advised online remedies for thinning out Shellac
have been adding acetone or polish removers to the bottles. While this
gives the illusion of a thinner application consistency, it is likely to
lead to service breakdown issues. Another common suggestion has been
heating Shellac. NEVER put nail products in the microwave! Shellac is meant
to be stored at room temperature, and though it seems thinner after having
been heated, you are allowing the solvents to evaporate at an advanced
speed which will in turn thicken the remaining Shellac at an accelerated
Caring for Shellac bottles in the salon will give you the best application
viscosity, the thinnest possible application ability, and your guests will
see the brilliant 14 day performance they expect!