CND Shellac – good to the last drop

Shellac is a Power Polish that has changed the natural nail industry.
Clients ask for it by name, and we know that we can rely on it to give an
amazing 14 day wear with proper home care. There are classes available
around the world to perfect application technique and even add some
artistic elements. However, sometimes a perfect application can be made
more difficult if the Shellac has not been taken care of in the salon. Here
are some suggestions for caring for your Shellac so it’s good to the last
drop.

• Shake the bottle thoroughly before each use to disperse the solvents which helps prevent evaporation and thickening.
  • Close the cap firmly when not in use. This will prevent solvent from evaporating in between services. It may be necessary to clean the neck of the bottle after use to ensure a tight closure.
  • Do not expose the bottle to light without the cap firmly in place. Exposure to light can begin the curing process, this includes sunlight and table lamps.
  • Replace the cap any time you are not actually applying the product. This limits evaporation as well as exposure to light.
  • Use Shellac when the bottle is at room temperature. This will insure good consistency for application and eliminate fast evaporation of the solvents.

Unfortunately not taking care of your Shellac will cause issues that cannot
be undone. Some commonly advised online remedies for thinning out Shellac
have been adding acetone or polish removers to the bottles. While this
gives the illusion of a thinner application consistency, it is likely to
lead to service breakdown issues. Another common suggestion has been
heating Shellac. NEVER put nail products in the microwave! Shellac is meant
to be stored at room temperature, and though it seems thinner after having
been heated, you are allowing the solvents to evaporate at an advanced
speed which will in turn thicken the remaining Shellac at an accelerated
rate.
Caring for Shellac bottles in the salon will give you the best application
viscosity, the thinnest possible application ability, and your guests will
see the brilliant 14 day performance they expect!

67 Responses to “CND Shellac – good to the last drop”

1. Toni Pelletier says:

How about some beautiful posters?

For posters, postcards, and other marketing materials, pleasse visit cnd.com and log in as a professional.

2. Janice Reams says:

Thank you for the informative details on keeping our Shellac at its best! I love this product and it has been a game changer for me, after doing mainly acrylic enhancements for 30+ yrs!!

3. Barb says:

When the shellac gets low in the bottle its almost impossible to reach because the brush isn’t any where near long enough to reach even half way down the bottle. Would be great if the brushes were longer

4. kim Millward says:

My room in the Salon is very cold, especially in the morning, will this effect the shellac? and the fact the room heats up through the day and then cools down dramatically through the night. I live in Scotland lol.

The Shellac may seem thicker in viscosity when cooler in the morning, as the room warms up to an average room temp it should go back to its normal preferred consistency.

5. Ana Almeida says:

I love shellac ! i love CND!

6. christy bourgeois says:

Maybe a small ball inside the shellac bottles to help the polish mix competely?

7. Sue says:

I am just learning about Shellac and sounds like a great product. Can you apply tips before Shellac?

8. Jeanne Hogan says:

I am big fan of Shellac and love the product. Unfortunately CND seems to be very somnolent in presenting new color collections. One would think that a company with such a successful product would work assiduously to speedily augment its stock. Frankly I am tiring of the same old colors and the lack of new choices.
    Sincerely,
    Jeanne

9. kimberly says:

I really love this product! I have found that warming up the product does tin out the viscosity and make for easier application. I place the bottle in a towel warmer or a bowl of hot water for a few minutes. The only thing I have a problem with is NOT ENOUGH NEW COLORS! I have done the layering but I find it to be streaky and uneven. PLEASE put out some new colors! My clients are getting bored and asking for other products because they have a large selection of colors.

10. Martha says:

I really need to attend some classes…I have watched & read everything I can find on shellac & still have application issues which lead to poor results. Love the concept, but can’t seem to make it work.

11. Linda Todd says:

My last two clients with the shellac french mani came back with yellow nails. What caused this?

Make sure you are not using an overly wet brush to clean up the smile line and check if their nails have come in contact with bronzers, makeup, etc as that can cause staining in some cases.

12. Diane says:

I am working out of a tanning salon that gets pretty warm in the summer time when all the beds are being used. I am guessing that this will have an adverse effect on my Shellac and polishes, but can you tell me what to expect?

You should be fine, it would be similar to techs working in warm climates just be sure to keep the Shellac tightly closed.

13. Karen G. says:

Shellac is the best product in the industry. I no longer do any other nail enhancements. I’ve been a nail professional for 25 yrs and absolutely love Shellac! Thank you CND

14. My clients have problems with the shellac chipping or peeling off and i have done double the scrub fresh to ensure that the nail is well dehydrated. Any tips or ways to avoid this?

Make sure that you are sealing the edges all the way around the nail well and that your clients are using Solar Oil 2-3 times a day. Color on your pad when you wipe off the sticky layer is a good indication that the top coat is not sealing in all edges.

15. Leah Penzien says:

I was wondering if you have seen the Good Housekeeping article about the dangers of shellac. I took calls from several concerned clients today and had no response. The article says that Shellac can contains toxic chemicals that can cause reproductive problems among other issues. Any material I can read to give back to my clients concerned? This is the first I have ever heard of this. HELP!

Methacrylates have been safely used in nail products for decades. The Cosmetics Ingredient Review has determined Methacrylates safe as used.

As of August 2011, CND Shellac does not contain the chemical Methyl Pyrrolidone (n-MP). Prior to that, several original CND Shellac color formulations used a raw material that contained trace amounts of n-MP in the solvent. The amount of n-MP in the final formula was below 0.1%, well within safe harbor limits of California’s Prop 65.

Acetone, which is used to remove CND Shellac, is used in almost all polish removes. Acetone can cause temporary dryness; however, acetone substitutes are less effective and equally as drying. Lightweight oils can be used to offset the temporary dryness.

16. Carol says:

I sometimes put the bottles in the waist band of my trousers before use, especially the top coat which warms them a little so the application is easier. Will that thicken the Shellac also? I love the product but find the fact you have to shake so much rather annoying and time consuming. I try to find out what colour my clients are thinking of before they come but this isn’t always possible.

17. Annie says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME. After several manicures, my nails have NEVER been worse. Skin below my nails is peeling and one appears to be infected, nails are peeling and soft…haven’t grown since I stopped using it! NEVER say never, BUT HIGHLY DOUBTFUL I WOULD EVER CONSIDER USING THIS PRODUCT OR RECOMMENDING IT!

Please call the hotline at 800-833-NAIL, it sounds like you may have experience improper application or removal, or possibly not even a true Shellac service at all.

18. Barb says:

I have been using shellac on and off for two years. I love the product but after I use it for two to three months it does not stay on for more than a week and sometimes less. The polish peels on some nails and seams random. I usually stop using the product for a month or so and then it works great again. What could be causing this issue?

Make sure you are using Solar Oil 2-3 times daily and wearing gloves when doing dishes or other household chores.

19. Adrienne Langlois says:

What kind of damage occurs from the ultra violet light to the skin on the hands?

The UV light present in the CND UV Lamp has been proven safe to use. Various studies, including one done by Rapid Precision Testing Laboratories, have compared the lamp to natural sunlight and various indoor tanning lamps on the market. The tests have confirmed that the bulbs used in CND’s UV Nail Lamp are among the safest in use today. Getting regular UV manicures is equivalent to spending an extra 1-2 minutes in daylight.

20. Mary says:

If the UV rays harmful in any way to the client? We have a nurse that keeps asking us if it is harmful.

Here is a report she may find helpful:

21. Kim says:

Can LED lamp be used with Shellac or only the UV lamp? If so, what is the timing with the LED? Thanks for a wonderful product

22. Rachelle Sanders says:

I just had a client bring in the Good Housekeeping (March 2012) article about Gel Polish (showing Shellac specifically) Her main concern was the info about the UV light. Any tips on how to answer these questions?

23. amber gonzales says:

ive been having shellac mani’s for almost 2 months now…very impressed at how my nails have grown…i used to bite my nails for decades..now theyre a little past my finger tips. my only issue is that by the 2nd week, a few have begun to chip and peel off. i do not do any gardening or anything that would cause chipping. how can i get my nails to stay the full 14 days?

Make sure you are using Solar Oil 2-3 times daily and wearing gloves when washing dishes or other household chores. Also avoid peeling the Shellac off or buffing the nails.

24. Shellac es el mejor esmalte permanente que hay en el mercado.. En nuestro centro en Barcelona usamos solo productos Cnd. No tenemos ningún problema, aconsejo a todas que lo prueben. FANTASTIC!!!!

25. Edna says:

hello,
    I would like to know how to purchase products shellac, loved tudo.sou anonymous professional, live in australia. My email: @ hotmail.com ednna.rn

Thank you for your interest in CND. We list all of our international
      distributor partners at cnd.com. Select the “locate” option and then
      select “Find a Distributor”.

26. Linda says:

We use Shellac in our salon. We have found that certain colors do not work as well as others. The Tutti-fruiti shrinks, and the Fedora wrinkles. Are you having any other comments like this for color specific problems? Other then this the Shellac is popular & works well.

Both issues can be solved by shaking them very thoroughly and applying very thin!

27. Jean says:

I’m completely sold on Shellac! Please CND, can you produce identical colours in regular nail polish to match the Shellac colours? Even though the mani’s last a good two weeks, it would be so helpful to be able to ‘patch’ the odd chip with regular polish, especially when on holiday or unable to get to a salon.

28. gabby says:

Where can i buy the 99% isopropyl alcohol? I bought all the stuff to do my nails at Armstrong Mc Call in Yuma AZ, but they told me that they dont carry the 99% isopropyl.. I have gone to other stores and i could only find 60%, 70% and 91% isopropyl.. Please help me!

Some distributors do carry 99%, you can find distributors at cnd.com also check with a pharmacy or medical supply in your area, most would have to order it.

29. Jennifer says:

I have had some problems at the bottom of the bottle, but both times it has been the same color, Red Baroness. I’ve noticed that this particular color is prone to wrinkling, no matter HOW thin I apply it. Red Baroness is a very popular color, but the last 2 bottles have gone bad and I’ve lost the last 1/3 of a bottle, it is stored and treated identically with the other colors. Why am I having this issue?

Make sure it is really well shaken, you could even try stirring it with an orangewood stick then shaking it. If you feel the problem goes beyond that feel free to call the hotline 800-833-NAIL

30. Leigh says:

I also have lots of trouble with Fedora… wrinkles and is REALLY thick, even with my first use. Is there a shelf life to these bottles? The bottle I bought had been on distributors self a very long time…. that’ what she said.

The shelf life for Shellac is 2 years when unopened, make sure to shake it thoroughly for 20-30 seconds and to apply thin.

31. Jonesy Mouse says:

Love the Shellac! Will be getting a thinner for this product? Also, a longer brush would be IDEAL! I find that tilting and laying the bottle on it’s side is time consuming and works me to death. Thanks!

Thank you for the brush suggestion, the trick to thin Shellac is to keep it well shaken, lids on tight, and store at room temperature.

32. Kerri may says:

I really love the new colours just released, now I am looking forward to what’s next..any more colours this year? I am really hoping for some pastel creams (lilac, baby blue etc)

There will be some colors later this year, have you tried layering? Please visit cnd.com to find layering sheets. Here are a couple suggestions:
      Lilac- 1 coat Purple Purple + 1 coat Moonlight and Roses
      Baby Blue- 1 coat Hotski to Tchotchke + 1 coat Studio White

33. Sharon says:

I am really liking this product and so are my clients! I have one client that is struggling though. After a week they start peeling off and then they are gone! I have tried everything from a bond agent to acetone to dehydrate the nail plate! Help!!!

Is she more of an enhancement client than Shellac? If the nails need some added strength, a thin coating of gel or liquid and powder may be beneficial.

34. Lee lee says:

I am having issues with the shellac brushes, some of the brushes are stiff and hard to polish.

Make sure to keep the brushes out of the path of your UV light as well as out of direct sunlight.

35. Leona Measel says:

My cream puff gets so thick so fast why…?

36. Shawanda says:

need the proper way to do a french manicure, do I need a different brush