Become a CND Education Ambassador

If you have an enthusiasm for knowledge, and love for inspiring others and are:

PASSIONATE
POLISHED
PRINCIPLED
PROFESSIONAL
BOLD

We’re looking for you!

CND EDUCATION AMBASSADOR

We are now recruiting Education Ambassadors in the following areas of North America:

Alabama, California, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, Wisconsin, U.S., Helifax

CND SHELLAC AMBASSADOR

We are now recruiting Shellac Ambassadors in the following areas of North America:

Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Wyoming

To find out how you can become an Education Ambassador, CLICK HERE

* All Education Ambassadors at CND are independent contractors (not employees) and have the freedom to maintain their own salon business while sharing their passion and skills with other professionals.

185 Responses to “Become a CND Education Ambassador”

1. Vee Vee says:

Hello,

I would like to ask a question. The Shellac CND is so thick when the bottle is 1/2.. what would I do, can I use regular thinner to thin it out. It is so waste to throw that bottle away during shellac CND is so expensive and also hard to get the color that I want. Please help me out of this problem.. Thanks
    Vee Vee

Vee Vee,

We do not recommend thinning Shellac as it will lead to service breakdown. The key is to shake the Shellac bottles. When Shellac is not in use, the solvents rise to the top of the bottle. Solvents are the reason Shellac stays thin inside the bottle. If the bottle is not shaken prior to use, a disproportionate amount of solvent will be used as the brush is pulled through the top layer of solvent. Additionally, during use, more Solvent can evaporate out of the open bottle. As more solvent is used, the formula becomes off balance and the thicker ingredients that settle to the bottom of the Shellac bottle are left. Overtime, this make Shellac seem thicker which makes it difficult to apply Shellac in thin layers and can lead to under curing and wrinkling.

SHAKE….. SHAKE….. SHAKE the Shellac

(prior to every application for 30 seconds.)

2. Hello could you tell me when you expect to come out with any new colors my clients are dying to know and also could you submit the answer to me via email as well thank you

3. Max says:

Hi, can i ask a question. I now have my second set of Shellac nails on in French. I love Shellac and im recommending to all. I had a spray tan the same day which seems to have stained the shellac the next day. Is there anything i can use to remove the staining or will i need a wole new set?? This never happened with Gel nails. Thanks.

Max,

Shellac is susceptible to staining with self tanning products (especially french due to the light color). You mentioned you didn’t have this problem with your gel nails. One of the main reasons is this. A large difference between Brisa Gel and Shellac is.. Shellac is removable in 10 min, while Brisa Gel must be filed off. This means that Gel is more dense and resistant to staining. Next time you get a spray tan, try using Solar OIl or Almond Soothing Cream on your nails prior to your spray tanning service.

4. Kari says:

Hi, I need to know why the finish of my Shellac looks like there’s bubbles on it, could be the top coat the problem? thanks

5. megan says:

I’m intrested in becoming an educator but don’t know what kind of classes are offered in wichita, ks that could help me reach my goal?

6. sasha says:

is it true you are not making any new colors and the product will be discontinued?

Sasha,

Shellac product will NOT be discontinued. The new 12 colors will launch in spring 2011.

7. Mary Allee says:

If I wanted to do nail art, could I do base coat, 2 coats of polish, paint on my design, then top coat and cure?

Mary Allee,

We suggest when doing nail art with Shellac you follow the Shellac Step-by-Step through to Shellac Top Coat, cure, wipe with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Then proceed with your nail art application.

8. Mary Allee says:

I have a suggestion…since shaking is so important, and I learned from experience that it sure is…what if you came out with a little machine to shake the bottles, kind of like the paint machines at the paint store that shake the paint cans. I would purchase this…what do you think?

Mary Allee,

Great idea. We will take it into consideration and send your idea to our product development team.

9. Susan says:

Problem with thumbs, color coming off when I wipe with 99% alcohol. And can I go back and aply polish cure then top coat cure or do I need to reapply base, color ,color then top.

Susan,

What lamp are you using. If you are using the CND Brisa lamp you will need to do the thumbs separate from the other fingers as when the thumbs slide into the lamp they are laying on the side and will have a difficult time curing. If you are using the NEW CND UV Lamp which allows for 5 finger cure you may cure all 5 at one time.

If you remove the base coat when wiping with 99% Isopropyl alcohol, you will need to reapply.

10. Jen says:

Hi, I have been using CND products since 1993. I love them. I have been waiting on a CND shellac light since June. I have another UV light but it does not cure shellac, apparently. I have played with it trying things to get it to work, and have actually made it look fairly good. I did a lot of troubleshooting as far as the shrinkage and peeling. But I don’t feel right making my client pay for the service when each time, I have to say well, lets try this, maybe it will work this time. It actually lasted 3 weeks. But for the cost of it, I don’t want to have to play with it and it may or may not work, because that doesn’t look good to my customers. I am hoping the light will make all the difference. My customers have pretty much given up on me getting the light, though my distributor keeps telling me its coming. I do have a question though, why is the bottle so small (1/2 the size of normal CND polish)?

Jen,
      Greater volumes of CND lamps have been produced and are in route to distributors. Most distributors should have enough lamps to fill their current orders by mid January.

The size of the bottle allows for complete use of each bottle of Shellac.

11. I tried Shellac on my self three weeks ago, my nails have never looked better. What should I be charging for this service? I know that this is a generic type question, but I need a starting point for charging for this amazing service.

12. Connie Chadwick says:

I am having a hard time finding the bulbs for the shellac light. Is there another bulb I can use until they get the bulbs in?

Connie,

We only guarantee our lamp with the recommended bulbs. Visit our website and click on locate for find a distributor in your area to contact for replacement bulbs for the CND UV Lamp.

13. Connie,
    Here is a list of US distributors that ordered the replacement bulbs. These shipped a couple of weeks ago, so this may not be inventory the distributors have….

ACE BEAUTY COMPANY-FL
    GULF STATES BTY SUPPLY (BIRM)
    STATE SERVICE SYSTEMS
    MARSHALL’S
    TNG WORLDWIDE
    AERIAL COMPANY, INC
    STARLIGHT NAIL SUPPLIES INC
    STNR BODYWORKMALL
    WEST COAST BEAUTY SUPPLY
    SALON CENTRE
    C.B. SULLIVAN
    ESSENTIAL SALON PRODUCTS INC.
    PEELS/DENVER
    ALL ABOUT NAILS
    SPA ONE
    MONIQUE BEAUTY SUPPLY
    DK BEAUTY SUPPLY
    ALLURE NAIL SUPPLY

14. Cathy says:

I am a big fan of Shellac, however, it seems to chip off the tip of my nails very quickly (within three days) any suggestions? Thanks.

Cathy

Cathy,

15. Loni says:

I applied a shellac french application on a client, where the tip of the white became bumpy (almost like cottage cheese), and some of the nails, the white started to shrink, or take on different form, and bleed into the negligee. What is this from, and what can I do differently to avoid this? I had to completely redo this set of nails, took double the time, and the second set only looked minimally better. I have done the french about 10 other times, and it usually always looks great. Any suggestions or help?

16. Margaret says:

Why are we seeing crinkling after the second coat of Fedora (before top coat application)? No, it wasn’t too thick. The BSG rep was here training & watching a new nail tech apply the product.

17. Margaret says:

If a client has bad ridges, would it be okay to buff with a 3,000-grit buffer?

18. Margaret says:

What would be the correct way to apply the French?

19. Margaret-
    This souds like a thick application or a lamp with low UV output. Have you seen the CND Shellac in Mniutes application videos?

Here is a video that really lets you look at the Fedora on the first layer to see how it looks when thin enough:
    Tricks for white application on a short nail:
    Tricks for white application on a long nail:

There is a french application video in the Shellac in minutes series as well as one here:

Please let me know if the videos do not answer your questions!

20. Loni-
    This souds like a thick application.
    Have you seen the CND Shellac in Mniutes application videos?

Tricks for white application on a short nail:
    Tricks for white application on a long nail:

Also be sure you are shking your white for 20-30 seconds before use.

It also sounds like you may not be getting a full cure, may I ask what lamp you are using?

21. Margaret, just realized I missed your buffing question. The Shellac will actually do some ridge filling so no buffing is needed.

22. Heather says:

I received Shellac on Monday, by Friday nearly an entire nail has pealed and most of the tips are beginning to wear off as well as along the cuticles. I see in a post above a person was told to “Make sure you are using Solar Oil regularly. Minimum of 2 times per day. If you have peeling on your natural nails your nail professional should be gently buffing away the peeled area of the nail. Always wear gloves when exposing your hands and nails to cleaning products and cold weather.” If this is necessary then why in the Q & A section are we told,
    “Will soaps or other personal grooming products affect the wearability of Shellac?
    No. Shellac was developed and tested to withstand the rigors of daily wear.”
    I have only exposed my nails to hand soaps and dish soap when washing dishes – which I consider part of the rigors of daily wear. My nails don’t ordinarily peal. What went wrong? Also where can one purchase solar oil and is this a regular recommendation to all persons using this product?

23. Washing your hands is part of daily wear, but when washing dishes it is recommened that you wear gloves even if you’re not wearing Shellac. Water is very damaging and drying to the nails. If you are interested in the science of why I invite you to check out Doug Schoon’s Brain and pay particular attention to images 3-7. (this link is available until 12-31-10)

Solar Oil is available in salons, ask your nail tech about it. I ask all of my clients to use Solar Oil wether their nails have polish, Shellac, enhancements, or are even naked. Your nails are made of the same protein as your hair. How often do you wash your hair without conditioning it? Solar Oil is conditioner for your nails, think about how often you wash your hands. It penetrates whatever you have on your nails if you use it faithfully and will help keep them more flexible.

Hope this helps :)

24. Judy says:

Hi, I am looking to get set up with the Shellac system and am on a budget. I already have a 36 watt UV lamp (not CND). Will the Shellac gels cure properly under any 36 watt UV lamp? If I can, I would like to make do with what I have for now and invest in the CND lamp later. Thank you!

25. Della Ortiz says:

Hi I Love the new Shellac and so do my clients. I would like to know why do the bottles have to be so small and why why are they black it is very hard to see how much is left and to use it all up when you can’t see how much is inside.

Della,

As you know Shellac is cured with UV light. The Shellac bottles are black or fully colored to inhibit UV light from penetrating through the bottle, as this would cause it to cure and or partially cure (thicken) inside the bottle. The small size allows for complete use of the product. Every time you open a bottle of Shellac solvents can escape which will cause it to thicken. This is why it’s so important to shake the Shellac bottles. This way the solvent isn’t at the top of the bottle, as this would allow the solvents to escape even faster.

26. Mel says:

I’ve notice with soaking the shallac off with acetone, that my clients nails are becoming very dry and peeling. I educate my clients to use solar oil daily, but still seeing changes in the nail. I feel is the acetone. Has this come up with anyone else and what do you recommend.

Mel,

Here are a few tips and tricks to help with dryness.

Tips & Tricks:
      Clients should be using Solar Oil daily and repeatedly. This will help moisturize their natural nails and keep their natural flexibility. It will also help maintain the natural flexible feeling of Shellac.

Minimize exposure of acetone by using Shellac Wraps. Soaking the nails and fingertips in a bowl of acetone is excessive exposure to acetone.
      Apply Shellac base coat thin. The thicker you use it the longer it will take to remove.

If your clients natural nails are overly dry, try a warm Solar Oil soak. Use an oil warmer or place small bowl of Solar Oil in a larger bowl of warm water.Put just enough Solar oil to cover the tips of the fingers. Soak for 5 min after application of Shellac

When dry spots are found on natural nail after Shellac removal, apply SolarOil and buff with 1200 grit buffer such as CND Koala Buffer. In mild cases, Shellac can then be reapplied. In more severe cases, the client should take a break from wearing Shellac for a few weeks.

To remove any residual Shellac use an orangewood stick to gently scrape the nail. Do not use metal or hard plastic. Improper scraping may cause damage to the top layer of natural nail, thus making the nails more prone to dehydration.

Immediately after Shellac removal, wash the client’s hand with plenty of water using mild soap. Strong soap or detergents are also sources of dehydration.

Do not buff the natural nail prior to application. The top layer of the natural nail is normally more dense or less porous than the other layers and acts as a protecting layer, preventing solvents from penetrating the natural nail and causing excess dehydration.

27. Kim says:

I just want to share with all the CND/Shellac user that CND is is not just a nail product company with best nail products. They are giving,caring and wonderful staff. CND reached out to me once my newly opened Spa burned down leaving me with nothing but CND helped me in more ways then I can share. CND YOU ALL ROCK!!! THANK YOU MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

28. Nancy says:

Hi, just checking….the solar oil will not cause the shellac to peel once it is on and cured? I have had some clients experience peeling with out using the oil. I am seeing the white spots, but dont want to make any peeling worse.
    Thanks!!

29. cari johnson says:

Our clients were requesting a little “bling” this Christmas so we spiced up the Shellac colors by sprinkling glitter ontop of the tacky second coat of the cured colored gel then applied topcoat and cured like usual. looked AWESOME and heald up great!!

Hi, I am trying to find where it says the exact percentage of alcohol used in removing the sicky film. This just makes it shinier, correct? The larger the percent? Originally we could find it so just used 70% alcohol but now they had 3 different kinds at CVS pharmacy. Please let me know. Thanks!!

Michelle,

CND recommends 99% Isopropyl alcohol to remove the tacky layer. Yes you are correct that it increases the shine when you use the correct percentage. Using less than 99% can lead to dullness and “pitting” in the Shellac Top coat. The pitting will collect dirt and can stain.

31. Judy,
    You are welcome to try of course. In my experience with troubleshooting with other salons, other lamps do not give a proper cure which leads to service breakdown issues. It may be ideal in the long run to wait until you can get the system as a whole including the lamp so as not to take the chance of losing business.

Hope that helps.

32. Shannon says:

I ordered 2 New CND lamps 4 months ago from my supplier Ed Wyse. In the mean time I continue to use my Brisa lamps. I’ve had nothing but the run around from
    CND and find it quite frustrating. Can someone answer HONESTLY what the issue is
    ?. I find it quite unprofessional to be told one excuse after another.
    Thank You for any answers you may have.

Shannon,

The demand for the new CND UV Lamps is what caused the backorder situation. Several shipments of lamps have arrived. Unfortunately we can’t give you an exact date as to when you will receive your lamp, but the situation is improving daily.

33. Lois says:

I am keeping my fingers crossed that CND will develop a little “shaking machine” to shake up the bottles. This would save us all time and money as well as add professionalism to the product.

34. Tammy says:

Love shellac!!!! Wondering why the white thickens so fast? I shake it 20 to 30 secs every time I use It. Maybe the creampuff needs to be a smaller bottle 1/2 the price cause it is so expensive as it is but to have to throw away a 1/2 used bottle is such a waste…. any suggestions?

Tammy,

The Shellac creme puff is heavily pigmented. As are all darker/more opaque colors. Thus the solvents evaporating will cause it to thicken faster. Try to keep you bottles away from the UV light or directly underneath a table lamp when the bottle is open. Clean the top of the bottle after use to make sure it is capped tightly to avoid solvents evaporating.

35. Linda says:

Will you kindly let me know if there is an educator in our area, Mississauga Ontario. We have several questions in regard to shellac, and although we have purchased the product, we have not yet introduced it as a service until we are completley comfortable. If that is not possible would someone be able to call us at a scheduled time?

Linda,

You can call our Hotline directly to speak to a live person and have them recommend and Education Ambassador in your area at 800-833-NAIL.

36. jennifer says:

How do I get fuzz out of an already cured nail? Also, I have yet to find a hand soap that doesn’t affect adherence. I’ve just been having my clients scrub with a dedicatd, oil-free brush, sterilized in barbicide.

37. Jennifer, I have nippers shaped like tweezers and if it is sticking up I just nip the fuzz off. If you have a lump from the fuzz you could buff, clean with alcohol and reapply top coat. Try doing a fuzzy check before going in the lamp ;)

Have you tried the Scensations washes?

CND Edcuation Ambassador

38. Melissa says:

I am a Natural Nail Specialist and Shellac has been the best thing that has happened in a long time! First of all my clients love Shellac and so do I. The problem I am having is that I charge $45 for a Shellac Manicure which takes me about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes depending on the condition of my clients nails. To Reshellac I charge $50 which takes me an extra 15 minutes to remove. My Sports Manicure is $25 and my Spa (CND’s Citrus) Manicure is $35. Recently I have had a couple of my clients tell me they started going to the Discount Nail Salons to get “Gel Polish” because they only charge $25. This is very upsetting! How can I win these clients back? I don’t feel like I should have to lower my prices. The salon I work in is very upscale. I honestly can’t believe these clients have lowered there standards. These clients have been coming to me for 9 years. They know how meticulous I am and how over the top clean I am. One of my clients still comes to me for Pedis. I asked her how they removed the gel polish. She said they file it, then soak her fingers in pure acetone, then file some more, then soak some more, then scraped it off with a metal pusher. She knows how I remove it with the wraps and an orange wood stick and how much safer it is for her nails but she claims they have more colors to choose from and I guess at this time she doesn’t care that they could possibly be damaging her nails. It would be nice if CND could write up a pamphlet or something I could print off my computer why Shellac is better than these other Gel Polishes so I could share this info with my clients! I think if clients could see the comparison they would think twice about what brands to choose from.

I think the next step for CND to do is start promoting Shellac’s safe, gentle, Removal process!

Also, it would be nice if you could receive a Certificate after taking a Shellac class to show your clients you have been certified.

Please help! I don’t want to lose any more clients!

39. Melissa,
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said they lowered thier standards. It may be time to work towards attracting a clientelle with higher standards, consider creating an attractive upscale flyer with some pictures of your work, a brief explination of the benefits of Shellac and your salon contact info and dropping it off at places you feel would bring in the type of client you are looking for. Shellac has 12 new colors coming in March which may help, are you layering to create new colors? CND does mention the safe removal, the problem with that is not all salons choose to remove it in the recommended manner. Certificates are a great idea I will pass that on!

Hope this helps!

40. Jennifer says:

I love shellac!! My only frustration so far is in matching the colors! My clients polish on pedicures last very long so they do not want shellac on toes but it has been difficult matching shellac colors. I checked cnd color line but not all classic colors have a replacement. None of the suppliers in my area have cnd polish out for me to look at & I don’t want to order them by guessing. Who’s idea was it to discontinue matching polishes:(….could you PLEASE recommend cnd regular polishes to match. My clients are very picky when it comes to having fingers and toes to match!

Jennifer,

Here is a listing of compatible colors for Shellac (when you notice the + sign it means to layer) and Colour & Effects.

Cream Puff = Brilliant White
      Romantique = Frosting Cream
      Strawberry Smoothie = Girlie Pink +Lavender Pearl + Marshmallow Rose
      Rose Bud = Muddy Rose + Pink Lilly
      Tutti Frutti = Raspberry Parfait + Ice Blue Shimmer
      Tropix = Tropic Coral + Poppyfield
      Hot Chilis = Relay Red + Copper Pearl
      Wildfire = Fireberry
      Red Baroness = Bloodline + Copper Pearl
      Iced Cappuccino = Desert Suede + Gold Pearl
      Fedora = Raisin in the Sun

41. Renata says:

I have notice that most of the CDN gel nail polish are extremely thick. I have just gotten my nails done by applying two different colors which created a pretty purple color, however it looks sloppy because the polish is so think. Although I like the concept of having a nail polish that last 2 weeks its not appealing when your paying $30 and more for a manicure that looks like cramp. The only color that seems to have the same consistency as a regular polish is Tropix.

Renata,

The Shellac color and the Colour & Effects nail enamel should not look thick. These products must be shaken thoroughly, (from New) to keep the product from thickening. We are sorry for your experience. We would suggest working with the salon to trouble shoot.

42. Erin Gename says:

Hello,
    I was just wondering if the newer Shellac polishes have been reformulated? I just bought a new Red Baroness and it seems to be alot brighter than the 1st one I bought. Also, I am very excited about the new larger base and top coat and about the new colors in March.

Erin,

There hasn’t been a change in formulation for the colors. Try shaking the bottle more and see if it’s closer. Another reason could be that the previous color you had may have many more of the solvents evaporated, leaving behind more pigment which could change the coloration “slightly”

43. Jennifer says:

Thank you for the response about the matching colors for shellac! Will the new shellac colors be current colors from the color and effect line? And if so,just a suggestion,it would be great for a majority of the shellac to have a single match to color and effect line(not multiple colors to create the same color) I personally have a small salon and unfortunatlely do not have a ton of space for polishes. It would make it a whole lot easier too. Also great idea for the larger base and top coat! Thank you.

Jennifer,

Thank you for your comments. We understand your concerns with space and will definitely take into consideration. When Color & Effects were launched this was something we paid great consideration about, “space”. With only 50 base colors and 15 effects it limits the amount of bottles you would need to carry in the salon while being able to create endless color combinations. With the new Colour & Effects line all the base colors are cream. Therefore if there is a Shellac color that is launched that is a Frost, it’s not possible for us to create a single coat match with Colour & Effects. We are glad that you are excited for the new sizes of base and top coat for Shellac.

Have a great weekend.

44. Kristel says:

I hope you find a rep for Halifax, NS soon. It just seems to be catching on here, and there is still much mystery around the bubbling and rippling etc. The techs don’t know why its happening etc. Seems to be a lack of training in our area.

45. amandaoanh says:

i have asked a question on here on 2 seperate dates and still havent got a reply. also my question is deleted somehow.

Amanda,

Thank you so much for your follow up. Sometimes it may be difficult to find the original post and the answer. We truly apologize for the confusion.
      We only have one question from you posted on 1-13-11 at 2:18 pm.
      The answer was posted on 1-20-11 at 11:17am.
      See post and answer below.
      Please repost your other question so we may follow up.

Post: 2011/01/13 at 2:18 pm
      i would like to know if you can you other gel base/top coat on the shellac??? also how come after you do the french it has like a dip in the middle of the nail.. i also add a little more of top to the middle to add apex but still doesnt look right..

Reply: 2011/01/20 at 11:17 am | In reply to amanda.
      Amanda,
      Shellac is designed to be used as a system. The Shellac base coat is key to the 10 min quick removal time. Shellac top coat is a super Mirror finished and contains tiny tunnels that allow the acetone to penetrate through the Shellac color coat and to the Shellac base coat for removal.
      Try using your white a little thinner to avoid the dip.

46. jessica says:

If the client wants the same color, do I still need to remove and reaply? Or can I just go over it??

47. Vanessa says:

do you have to wipe with 99% alcohol after uvtop coat because i dont see of feel a sticky layer?
    after curing the shellac color,can you put a normal top coat instead of the uv top coat?
    the base coat still feels wet after curing for 10sec even 20sec and even 30sec…does that matter?

48. Vanessa, each of the layers will be sticky, you only need to remove the tacky layer after the top coat. Are you using Shellac top coat when you don’t see or feel that on the top coat? The Shellac top coat helps protect the Shellac and without it there can be service breakdown.

Hope that helps!

49. Joyce Stewart says:

Icannot find Alcohol 99 percent only the 70percent?????