Shellac Layering

CRAVING MORE COLORS?

Did you know that you can create great color
combinations by LAYERING Shellac?
Here are some of our favorites!

Click on the link below!

86 Responses to “Shellac Layering”

1. Katie Mathein says:

Love the new colors!!!! Was suprised to see some of the lighter shades didn’t match the outer bottle color, just decided it was close enough and because the bottles can not have light penetrate or it will harden the Shellac. Clients don’t mind once you explain this and show them the true color on a test pallet. Wow!! The Purple Royal has been a huge hit this week.

2. Katie,
    You are right the bottles need to be opaque to keep the light out. Here are some layering ideas using the new colors to get you started if you are interested:

3. Tracy Caster says:

I just layered the R Royalty with negligee over top. Very pretty and wild!! I wasn’t all that thrilled with the new color selections. I kinda feel there are to many light pinks. ( negligee, beau, and clearly pink which is a total clear polish with a red tint to it ? ) I’m not sure why CND would choose a color like that since we don’t have many color choices?. I did use clearly pink with the glitter mother of pearl and that was really clear and nice.
    Does anyone know if there is a color wheel we could buy with all the colors and layering color possibilities, so that we can actually see all the combos? The mani-q product out has a color wheel so I’m kinda jealous…:)

4. The Clearly Pink is really handy for clients like nurses or interpreters that can’t wear color, it just gives the nails a healthy gloss look, kinda like lipgloss for the nails! It is also a fab base color for Rockstar Toes. If you are interested, there are some photos of several of the combinations, with 24 colora you can create hundreds of combinations so a color wheel would be a challenge! Here are some layers to get you started on ideas:

5. when u r layering is it just one coat of each.or two and one or one to two.how does it work to get the colors.I am loveing shellac.

Candi,

Layering is dependent on the final color. With most dark colors as a base, typically it is applied in 2 layers to achieve full coverage prior to layering. Hope this helps.

6. Emily says:

I tried layering Fedora and Romantique today. I followed the instructions exactly, but wasn’t happy with the result. Could it be because I didn’t apply a thin enough layer of Fedora? It looked nothing like the picture I saw, so I ended up removing it and just doing Fedora. Maybe I need to try more on models, but I wouldn’t charge a client for layering just yet.

7. Emily,
    Some of the layered colors have a textured look to them and that is one. Make sure your colors are well shaken, try it with 2 coats of Fedora instead of one, and apply the Romantique with gentle strokes. Layering is covered in this troubleshooting video if that would help:

8. zandaya says:

what do you get if you add iced cappuccino and strawberry smoothie? im so cofused! so many colourz……

9. Donna Hopkins says:

loving all the layering options you have been sharing. I made 36 layering color samples from the choices you displayed on the web and my customers are loving the additional color choices. with the 24 shellac colors and the layering with the first 12 colors I now have 60 choices. Now I see that there are many new layering options using the 12 new colors. It takes o much product to make these samples and to print copies off the web does not reflect good color samples. any chance that you will be providing color charts with all the layering options? After the initial release of the first 12 colors I did print a layering color sheet off the web that was pretty accurate. I would be willing to pay for a color layering chart on a nice laminated card as I am sure other nail techs would..would love to hear your thoughts. thanks

10. julie land-brown says:

loving my new purchase of the shellac, and would love to have some info on french application.

11. Zandaya,
    Iced Cappuccino then Strawberry Smoothie gives you a shimmery neutral color that goes with everything. If you are interested there are photos of a lot of the color layers here:

Donna,
    You may find printing out the colors looks great on photo paper. I will pass your idea along to marketing!

Julie,
    Have you watched the SHellac in minutes videos at cnd.com? They are great :o) There are also some videos at http://www.youtube.com/fingernailfixer

Does anyone know how to make lilac?

13. Michelle,
    Here are photos of almost 150 Shellac color combos:

14. Ann says:

in the photo’s that you show of the almost 150 color combos are these colors mixed or layered?

15. ANNA says:

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THE COLOR SANURIA? IT IS A MEDIUM PURPLE WITH A GOLD FLECK. SOMEONE IN MY COMMUNITY SAID THEY GOT IT IN CALIFORNIA.