Everyone WANTS Shellac

got-shellacked

The word is out on the street. Everyone WANTS Shellac the way they want a limited edition Birkin bag. You know, clawing, begging, pleading, howling at the moon, chewing the bark off trees. The women of America are obsessed with this new product, thanks to fantastic initial media and PR, and we like that.

So, availability and access to the service are crucial, especially right now while Shellac buzz is new and superhot. That’s why we want every one of the industry’s top Nail Professionals in our database, so new clients can find you!

The other striking news I can share is, even with all the frenzy for Shellac…there was also total excitement for the core biz too!  L&P is HOT again…there ARE women in the world who have flat, fat, ski-jump (hello…ME!!) and plain ole yucky-looking nails that need shape enhancement!

Nail Pros can now reshape, sculpt and transform ugly nails AND then Shellac them!  Yes…it’s true, and the shine you get is BETTER than buffing or polish.  The only giveaway: 2-3 weeks roll by and out of nowhere will appear a big fat gap between your cuticle and product line.  The ONLY way you know your nails are growing that fast is the out-growth…because there is NO dullness, fading or change IN ANY WAY of the color.

…..Just remember: …buff the L&P enhancement with a 1200 grit…clean it, then go straight to Shellac Color Coat.

With Gels, leave the tack on from Brisa Gloss and straight to Color Coat.

Our VIP room was full of first-time Shellac Virgins…who left happy and thrilled with their discovery. And it’s gonna be a long honeymoon.

AND the classroom was packed with the best and brightest of our CND Nation, all there ready to take it all in, elevate their skills, take care of business, and bump it up!

This experience might just change my mind about Orlando!

Mouseketeers, watch out!  SHELLAC is in the housewe have created a coveted “object of desire” with this new product…the perfect nail is always aspirational, yet now more attainable….AND THE FUTURE’S SO BRIGHT, WE ALL BETTER WEAR SHADES!

126 Responses to “Everyone WANTS Shellac”

1. Christine Warriner says:

I keep receiving emails telling me what CND is doing to expeditie delivery and shortening production time, yadayada, but the question is: how come we still don’t have it. I have been receiving these emails for 2 months, and if in fact you have changed production to 2 weeks, where the heck is it?? and where is it going? Are there certain markets it is going to first?? We need actual answers and ETA.

Christine,

Thank you for you comments and questions. CND is shipping product daily on a “First In, First Out” basis. What this means is that whichever distributor had their orders in first, they will receive their product first. We hope this helps to explain the question of “where is it going?”. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We are focusing on getting the product in your hands as soon as possible. Thank you for your continued patience.

Sincerely,

2. .Teresa McMahon says:

I LOVE SHELLAC ,MY CLIENTS LOVE SHELLAC we are hooked and now i cant get the product. I keep being told it is on the way, its been ordered,I am just about out of my top and base coats. Please help us out here.
    teresa

Teresa,

Thank you for your excitement. You can check the update information for Shellac at http://www.cnd.com/shellac-availability/. CND is committed to provide regular updates. However our goal is that these updates provide NEW information regarding Shellac availability. Therefore our updates may extend beyond a week at times. We appreciate your patience and anticipate posting new information early next week.

3. Vickerella says:

I want this product! I had a mani and pedicure with this and absolutely love it, but I can’t afford $120 every two weeks. I think I am able to use this product on my own…where can I buy it? My salon will not sell it.

4. pamela aloisio says:

why is it on eaby? and where did they get it? shame on them for charging so much for it, but if we need it its tempting to go and buy it we want our shellac for our clients , please get going!!!!

Pamela, There are some unauthorized dealers selling Shellac on eBay. CND does not condone or endorse the sale of Shellac on eBay. We are taking necessary steps to manage the reselling of Shellac via unauthorized channels to assure the quality and authenticity of the product.

5. Kathy Grande says:

Just wanted to say thank you for such a GREAT product. Patience is a virtue…..LOVE IT….Now for some romantique please

6. Rachel says:

Always had gel nails in the past and due to damage let my nails grow out and a week ago had Shellac, quite frankly, very very dissapointed, the salon did all the prep required and yet a week later nearly every nail is chipped or has shrunk and and 2 are peeling?????? Not quite living up to your marketing promises

Rachel,

We are sorry for your disappointment. We suggest you contact the salon and troubleshoot with them.

7. Amy McCrimmon says:

Chez Madeleine
    709 N. Birdneck Rd.
    Virginia Beach, VA 23451
    757-428-9113

8. Cheryl says:

Shellac day 10, nails still perfect. My acrylic-weakened nails are protected from breaking. Shellac is now the new industry standard for nail care.

Now all I need is Chanel for Shellac! CND make it happen!

9. Lori B says:

My clients love Shellac as do I! I’ve had great results though recently I experienced a french I applied turning yellowish brown??? I applied Cream Puff with Negligee over the top. Can you tell me what may have caused this?

Lori,

It could be that your client was in some sort of solvent which softened the topcoat layer. This then allowed something to stain the softened top coat. Do some troubleshooting with your client and see what you can find out.

10. d elliott says:

having a major problem getting product. loosing customers. salon will not commit to shellac. lighter colors always on backorder.

D Elliot,

We are sorry for your inconvenience. Large quantities of Shellac is shipping daily. Thank you for your patience.

11. Wendy says:

Is there any need for concern when you put Shellac on a pregnant client? Thanks

Wendy,

There is no need to be concerned when applying Shellac on a pregnant client. Of course you should always recommend that your client follow their doctors regimen.

12. Kathy says:

What is the shelf life of shellac? I ask because if I can get it, do I double order to keep from running out?

13. amanda says:

hello my girlfriend lost her toe nails due to a spider bite and family genetics not letting them grow back. they are celluloid-ed over. can shellac stick to the skin without being harmful…. removal process as well. thanks :)

14. kelly says:

Had my first French mani with Shellac the day before my wedding at Salon Bliss in Gurnee, IL. They looked fabulous and still look fabulous after a 2 week honeymoon in Europe and 1 week back to the grind. Any research as to whether this product damages your nails like artificial nails do? The take off process sounds daunting…

Kelly,

The removal process is extremely simple and will not harm your natural nails. We suggest that you use Solar Oil daily to keep your nails healthy and moisturized.

15. Melanie says:

Just opened up my back up bottle of shellac base coat & there was no brush inside. Not only was there no brush, but the product in the bottle is super thick. I went to return this to my beauty supply for another & they don’t have any. I am forced to use this (I can use the brush from my empty bottle) but my concern is will there be any problems if I do use this seeing as it is so very thick & goopy?? I have 3 shellac wearers coming into the salon tomorrow….HELP!

16. Kathy says:

I am not a professiona, I’m a salon client. My Nail Tech was one of the first to have Shellac available in the DFW area. I tried it and was immediately hooked. Right away I could tell the difference in my nails. I was having a problem with my nails getting dry & brittle and I couldn’t keep a manicure for more than 4 days. Now I can go up to 3 weeks at a stretch and my nails look great! The only sign that it is time for a fresh application, is the gap that appears between the Shellac and the cuticle indicating nail growth. I’m actually able to let my nails grow out and have gotten lots of compliments. Good Job, CND! Now we just need to get a bigger variety of colors.

17. Mary Jo says:

OK, I finally got all my Shellac! PHEW!!!

Here’s my question: why the packaging??? The new Shellac I received doesn’t have the plastic case but now comes with a box with a plastic insert.

IMO, this is just a waste of time (in production) and more trash the environment doesn’t need. All nail pros are going to do is throw out the packaging!!!

Mary Jo,

Thank you for your dedication to Shellac.

The decision to change packaging of Shellac was made because the new packaging (chipboard box & insert) allows for a significant increase in speed of production compared to the previous packaging (plastic dome) – specifically related to the actual timing of the production of the package & the time of assembly.

It is important to continue to differentiate Shellac in the marketplace through packaging to allow for proper positioning & message points (ie: On Like Polish, Wears Like Gel, Off In Minutes). Shellac is unlike ANY product on the market & it is important that the customer & store sales people clearly understand the differentiation (vs nail polish & soakable gel products) at point of purchase. The bottle alone does not allow for this distinction & clear communication.

18. Cathy Moore says:

What do you do if you finish the nail with the top coat and then you notice a gap where the product has shrunk? Do you have to soak off and start all over again? Also if you have a client that has no free edge at all and you get a little Shellac on the finger tip how do you remove from the skin?

19. Thankyou CND !!!
    My Business is booming !!! SHELLAC has taken My Natural Nail Care Business to a whole new level and my clients and I , are hooked !!!
    Over 100 NEW clients since May !!! ( at least half directly from the the CND Find a Salon, linc, that I have been on since the first week of May)
    Thanks Again !!! ~ Shirlee Co/Owner and sole Manicurist at
    FIVE DOORS DOWN-the SALON in SanDimas, Calif .

20. Karen Benson says:

can someone please help me locate the color Romantique? Without this light color, my clients don’t have enough of a choice! When are the new colors coming out?
    Also, is anyone having trouble with fedora creasing or coming out crappy?

Thanks,
    Karen Benson

Karen,

Shake the bottles thoroughly for approximately 30 seconds prior to use. When using Fedora, the first layer should go on thin and almost semi-transparent. The second layer will also apply thin but will give you the coverage you need.

21. Lori says:

I was at my usual salon today and they have begun to use Shellac. The odor was very powerful. Because it was chill outside, no windows were open and ventilation was poor. WOW! I asked my stylist to stop the finishing touches to my hair because I had to leave. My next appointment, I will ask not to be scheduled while a Shellac is being applied. It was terrible! I can still taste it. Why no training on proper ventilation so other patrons aren’t offended?!

Lori,

Shellac is non-toxic and low odor when compared to most other nail services. We’re sorry you found the odor overwhelming, however as a manufacturer, we are not authorized to ensure each salon has proper ventilation systems in place. We do provide training on proper ventilation in many of our classes and
      Salon Professionals also get this training in beauty school, it’s up to each salon to implement these systems individually and up to state authorities to ensure the salon is practicing safe ventilation.

22. Kathleen says:

Hi! I love the idea of Shellac, especially since the acrylics that I wore for a year and a half tore up my nails. It gives me the option of having nice nails and trying to regrow and get them stronger. Unfortunately, my first experience with Shellac has not been so great. I got a french manicure to see how it held up (I am getting married in April and would love the alternative to fake nails) and now my nails are turning brown. I paid a pretty penny to get this done and I really want this to work, but what’s going on?? I read the review above about redoing the nail after the top coat was already on and CND’s suggestion to rub the nail with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and reapply the top coat. I noticed that after my manicure, the nail tech wiped my nails with that but did not apply anything to them afterward. I do not work with any kind of solvents, especially not any that would do this to my nails. It is so bad that I am embarrassed to have anyone look at my hands, with is a shame because it is a wonderful product. What can I do? Is there anyway to salvage this manicure, it’s only been 4 days and none of the nails are even chipped (which is a first for me)!

Kathleen,

In reading your comments, it seems that this may be a case of undercuring. Is your salon using a CND lamp? Under curing could cause what you are describing. Contact the salon and let them know what you are experiencing. Work with your salon to troubleshoot the issue and reapplication. We would be happy to help troubleshoot more with the salon if needed.

23. Wendy says:

When can we expect our Shellac delivery? Our clients are getting very restless. We have done 2900 Shellacs since the launch and the clients are getting mad at us because we can’t get the product in. HELP!

Wendy,

CND is shipping on a “First In, First Out” basis. What this means is, whichever distributor placed their order first they will receive their product first. Product is shipping daily by the truck loads. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

24. Debbie Williams says:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, we need a color like Marshmallow Rose or whiter. 90% of our clients wear that type of color (like Essie Ballet Slippers) They all say Romantique is too pink! HELP!!!

25. Mary Jo says:

Hi, what do you do when your brand NEW bottle of Shellac is thick? I’ve shaken, shaken and SHAKEN the bottle. It’s still thick.

Thank you for your help!

26. Beth Anne says:

Just want to say im a little frustrated with the instructions on here in regard to French Manicure with Shellac. The instructions state to perfect your smile line you can use a brush dipped in the 99% alcohol- i started doing this as my free hand technique is not quite perfect yet, and i was getting terrible results.. peeling,chipping, bumps where the brush was used to perfect the line- terrible. Then i looked online(youtube and facebook) at some instructional videos from educators- and they clearly state the key is to use clean, DRY, gel brush!! Alcohol can be used to clean the brush,but it must be dry when perfecting the smile line. After all those failed efforts with the french shellac, it would have been nice to know the proper way all along. I’d suggest updating the instructions on your site. And just for the record, theres no way to ever get the polish thin enough without really shaking it for 30 seconds or more for each hand application- any less and its a goopy mess.

27. Katrina says:

I have been in the nail business for fourteen years, I seriously thought about not doing nails because of the health hazord. Shellac has saved my nail business…….Thank-you and it works great…..anyone having problems must not be applying properly. I have had this since June and have doubled my clients. We do need more colors, I have tried the layering process but not real impressed with some of the results. Nice try but lets get the new colors out. It will be the best thing CND can do to keep the customers we have.

28. wendy says:

Hello. 3 of our Shellac lights are turning themselves off and making a horrible beeping noise. I have tried changing the bulbs and hitting the reset button. No luck. Please help!

Wendy,

The CND UV lamps will turn off and make a beeping noise when the bulb life has run it’s course. Press and hold the reset button until the LED screen shows 100.

29. Regine says:

I have a client who is taking off acrylics and wants me to put shellac… Will it stick to her nails even if worn acrylics for years and has gone to many nail techs. Any tips I’m trying to keep this client coming back to me.

Regine,

We would suggest that you leave a thin layer of liquid and powder on the natural nail and apply Shellac over it. This will allow the L&P to grow out and expose the healthy natural nail in the new growth area. When removing Shellac you will need to file off Shellac every two weeks vs removing in acetone as the acetone will not only remove the Shellac but will also break down the liquid and powder.

30. Katie Mathein says:

CND, Love this shellac product! It has grown my clientel base quite prosperously! Thanks! I am 18 years experienced in the nail industry and found this product application very user friendly. I am having a huge successe in client growth. I am ready to expand in services offered and have been doing research via internet on shellac & rock star nails. I have veiwed a u-tube video on shellac rock-star application. I am a concervitive nail tech who prfers to fallow the manufacturese advise app. Due to unforseen nail problems. I do not veer from Manufators directions . my ? is, Is this video of shellac rock star application a potential problem to healthy nails? My ? is have you @ CND put Shellac to the test yet with the glitter app. for propper curing time. This is a GREAT CONCEPT for future income with this product with the bonuse of application ease and re application ease? I am at the ready to to promote this process butt don’t want to harm the integredy of my clients nails untill I know for sure from your scientifc team that the procces that it will hold up to the uttmost in healthy nail care. Please responde to me @ ckhunter99@aol.com

Katie,

At this time we have not completed testing for glitter application to Shellac and do not have a recommended application technique. However, many Nail Technicians have had great success applying various embellishments to Shellac. Adding water based craft paints, glitter or other embellishments to Shellac offers exciting opportunities but may compromise the integrity of the service. CND encourages trial with these mediums, however we cannot
      guarantee service success.. If you experience service breakdown, you many need to change or adjust your additives.

31. Holly says:

I’ve had an allergic reaction to gel nails and really want to try the shellac. Have you had any reactions to the shellac? Since it is a hybrid with the acrylic in it I’m a little hesitant. Thank you!

32. Katie-
    Adding glitter ventures outside the manufacturer directions. It does not cause any damage as it is trapped in the layers of Shellac so it applies and removes in the same basic manner. Logically glitter does block the seal and alter the cure. I have found that some clients are unable to wear glitter in their Shellac either on nails or toes it peels or chips. I offer glitter services either after they have worn Shellac regularly with success or if they do not want to go for a test run I do not garuntee the glitter service. It has been a lot of fun and a great add on, but it is not for every client and does offer potential issues. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask!!

Hope that helps :)

33. Holly, you may want to call a salon offering Shellac, explain your situation amd ask for a consultation and if they would be willing to do one test nail for you. Do you know what gel you had a reaction to? Brisa gel is hypoallergenic as it is non-acrylate, gluderaldehyde free and formaldehyde free. Shellac is 3-Free with no DBP, Tolulene, or Formaldehyde.

Hope this helps!

34. Krysia says:

Is shallac ever going to be available to non salon owners?

35. Amanda says:

Yes! And I want Shellac also! I am a licensed nail tech. I have been trying to get Shellac through 5 different (legitimate) sources since early August. This is getting really frustrating. I created a buzz in my salon, and now I am suffering the consequences. Many of my clients are ready to try the product, but I can’t provide it. I am about ready to give up and try a different brand. HELP!

Amanda,

We are sorry for your frustration. Shellac is being produced with substantially greater velocity. Each week, many more Shellac bottles are making their way to your distributor shelves.

Sincerely,

36. Thelma says:

I have had a lot of patience waiting on polishes and especially top coat. I will run out of the top coat in the middle of my booked – solid day on 11-30-10. I have yet to receive two of the shellac colors that I ordered on 6-28-10. My question is how do I explain to my clients that I con not continue their shellac services due to the fact that the five top coats that I ordered about two months or so ago have not come in. In addition to this situation, I was so excited that this product was going to help build my business that was lost due to a serious accident. Now it looks like there could be a lot of revenue going right out the door. All I can say is “This could easily finish me off financially.” No room for being excited about a product that could be turning into a nightmare for so many nail techs. Can’t help but be upset. Just another story like all the others.

Thelma,

We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Shellac is being produced with substantially greater velocity. Each week, many more Shellac bottles are making their way to your distributor shelves.

37. Thelma says:

Has anyone there considered just on a temporary basis to forget about the bottles and focus more on quality consistency? Maybe in all the rush the quality may be suffering. This statement based on complaints I have read in this blog. Also it might help get the product to those who are in serious situations. I have invested several hundred dollars into this product. Creative is coming out on top and we are in dire straits. At first I saw it as an opportunity to make a come back that I have been desperately trying to hang on to. Well, you should get the point.

38. Thelma says:

Has anyone there considered just on a temporary basis to forget about the boxes and focus more on quality consistency? Maybe in all the rush the quality may be suffering. This statement based on complaints I have read in this blog. Also it might help get the product to those who are in serious situations. I have invested several hundred dollars into this product. Creative is coming out on top and we are in dire straits. At first I saw it as an opportunity to make a come back that I have been desperately trying to hang on to. Well, you should get the point.

39. Thelma,
    Have you tried several different distributors? Log in at cnd.com and then click locate and distributor. Try some of the internet or catalog distributors also.

Hope that helps!

40. dekanails says:

Hello everyone- premiere nail source currently has 8 out of 12 colors right now including top coat and base coat.

I am having alot of trouble with the shellac not adhering to the natural nails of some of my clients. I clean up the cuticle area, cleanse and apply thin layers of each step and I am still having trouble.. One appointment I was totally embrassed .. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.. Thank You

42. Michelle,
    Check out this full application video and let me know if your steps are the same and then we can go from there!

43. Stephanie B says:

I have also had Shellac peel, shrink when cured and come out of the bottle very thick and goopy. I can’t figure out if I’ve gotten a bad batch or if it is just inconsistent. I follow ALL directions as advised in the video and product materials. Thank you.

44. Stephanie, what lamp are you using? Do you shake the Shellac for 20-30 seconds before using it each time? Really shake it similar to this:

45. Paula Esser says:

Hi, is anyone having trouble with the reds, Casablanca in particular shrinking? It seems to be thinner than some of the other colors? Any advice? Thanks.

46. Shawanda says:

Can you put shellac over acrylic nails and gel nails

47. Shawanda,
    Yes you can. Full step by steps are available at cnd.com just log in then click Tools and Support on the left then click Shellac support. Basically you don’t need base coat and the removal is different.

48. Kelli's classy claws says:

I love shellac, my customers love shellac.
    Iv been doing nails for 21years & I never
    seen anything like it, it’s the best thing since
    acrylic!!!!!