Shellac Launch

Shellac Launch

Today is a huge day in OZ…we are officially launching Shellac and have 4 separate presentations to deliver before the day ends!

12:00 – 4:00 The first two sessions are with the top and most important beauty editors from both trade and consumer magazines!  We also have a total of 15 Education Ambassadors with us from all around the country, so after my presentation, everyone receives a Shellac service! The favorite color so far is Fedora, a chocolate cherry crème (my personal fave as well…) followed by Tropix, a bright cheery coral crème that brighten spirits on this rainy day in Sydney.  Everyone is excited and blown away with the product…how could we have survived without it before now?????

4:00 p.m.  –  Our top VIP sub-distributors arrive to learn all about Shellac!  I see all of my long-time friends from many years of representing CND:  Beth, George, Wes and of course, the owners of Pacific Nail and Beauty, the 2 G’s, the lovely Glenn and Gary!   A special surprise visitor is Maggie, who is one of my dearest, most treasured friends.  It’s like old- home week and I’m just thrilled to be the one to share the details behind Shellac.  Everyone is sure that this innovation will help to get clients back into the salon, after a bout of hard times. I am sure that nailistas in the USA can relate….

5:00 p.m. — Now, it’s time to have a few private minutes with the OZ EA team. We have a drink, a chat and a snack…sharing, bonding and connecting.  Everyone is so proud and professional!  This team embodies the CND personality traits:  Passionate, Polished, Professional, Principled and Bold.  We are so lucky to have them on our team.

8:00 p.m.  - We end the day at a trendy Brazilian restaurant where this ‘Pescatarian’ was shocked with the swords of meat that were wielded at our table.  The Aussies love their red meat—perhaps it’s a bit of their carnivorous English heritage?– and everyone is stuffed and content!  I savor the table for its forum to communicate without pressure.

So day is done…whew, great and rewarding accomplishment!

79 Responses to “Shellac Launch”

1. Norma Klein says:

I love the Shellac polish. The only problem I have so far, is someone said they had a bubble on both ring fingers. I used the Romantique polish. I other person, who was a stylist, had one nail peel on the end, she had really long nails. It would be good to have a class in Austin, or somewhere close. Could you let me know if there will be a class around soon, so I can see what I may be doing wrong. Thanks.

2. I am a cosmetologist in Ruidoso New Mexico. I have had Shellac for a month now but can not use it! My supplier said the lights came out after the line and now its on back order. My clients are so amped about this product I hope I get it soon!!!!

3. I AM A MANICURIST FROM NJ, AND WE CURRENTLY HAVE SHALAC AND FINALLY BEEN ABLE TO USE IT. HAD TO PURCHAS BRISA LIGHT BECAUSE OF BACK ORDER OF SHALAC LIGHT. IS WORKING PERFECT AND HAVING GREAT RESPONSE WITH IT. CANT WAIT TO GET ORIGINAL LIGHT AND ALSO REST OF COLOR LINE. I HAVE IN BUSINESS FOR 15 YEARS AND ONLE HAVE WORKED WITH CND PRODUCTS. BEST PRODUCT LINE, I FEEL, IN THE INDUSTRY. THE SHALAC THE BEST YET. THANK YOU

4. Christiane Dixon says:

I have been using SHELLAC for 1 month now and WOW! What a wonderful product! I now do only SHELLAC at my Studio and no more gel and no more buffing. Can’ t wait to see the new colors in the fall. Thank you Creative for your wonderful products. I am using all of them and never had any regrets.

5. Gina says:

Hi there! I was very excited to try the Shellac polish. I had it put on at my favorite salon on Friday and by Tuesday I had a chip. So, for me it only lasted 4 days and not two weeks. I was really careful too, I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. I’m really disapppointed. :(

6. CND says:

Dear Gina,
    We are very sorry to hear that your Shellac chipped after 4 days. This is almost always due to a technical error made while applying it. If your technician is experiencing problems with other clients, please have her call the hotline for some assistance. I assume this chip is only on one nail! Why not call your technician and see if she will redo this one nail at no cost to you. She would probably like to know what happened so she can make sure it doesn’t happen to her future Shellac customers. Thank you!

7. Jacquie says:

Hi, I added Shellac to my product lineup two weeks ago and it is the best…I and my clients adore it. I have a small business in my home and am self employed, so for gals like me this is a win, win. I didn’t bother to offer traditional manicures because of all the issues with smearing/smudging as it wouldn’t have been worth my while…but Shellac has changed the manicure world forever and SHHHH… don’t tell anyone I am an LCN girl, lol. I would like to know though is Shellac safe for use on Diabetics…I have a diabetic in on Monday and she wishes to have Shellac nails…however I cannot do them until I know for sure that this won’t cause her any health concerns. Thanks CND for this wonderfully amazing product.

J

8. barb says:

Hello we love the new shellac polish but are having a difficult time with the top coat drying we have tried longer drying time, thinner coat and its still sticky Please Help

9. Linda Schultz says:

I had gone to a demo at our nearby Aerial Beauty Supply and had 2 nails done by Denise Taylor. She applied Shellac on the middle and index finger. She showed how to remove the Shellac using the middle finger and I have since kept the Shellac on my index finger. I wanted to actually put it to the test myself and see just how it holds up. I am very hard on my nails! I have to say it has been 2 weeks and I still have the Shellac on my index finger! It’s holding up just like you have stated. I am currently waiting for my order, the top and base coat are back ordered but I have clients waiting for it. I think it will be a very big hit!!

10. Bobbi says:

I am in Montecito, Ca. and all I can say is AMAZING!!!This SHELLAC is changing the industry as we know it. When applied right, it stays for 2 weeks and SHINE? Oh yea!!! It has tripled my client base in 1 month.WOW! I am sooo excited for the new colors Nov. 1st. Thank You CND for being on the cutting edge and making my job fun and exciting again. Bobbi

11. tish says:

where is the base and top coat????? we love the product, however we can not get it anywhere!!! we have several clients that are using the product and we can to service them, we have to use the opi axxium and we LOVE the Shellac…PLEASE get some out to the suppliers ASAP!!!

12. Stacie says:

Goodmoring, Love the product.. However I need more. The supply house has such a back log. Can i use the uv top coat from cnd? Is there a differance! i will NOT have enough base coat or top coat for my NEW cleints, I’ve been waiting for three weeks! HElP!!!!

13. Gina says:

Hi again! Thank you so much for responding! Yes, it was only one nail that chipped. I will try the Shellac again when I go in and I will tell her what happened and hopefully it won’t happen again. :)

14. Tara says:

Hi there! We are still waiting to use the new Shellac! But if it is as wonderful as it claims it will be a hit! We are wondering what salons are charging for this, and are they including a manicure with it? We have some ideas but would like some feedback!!! Thanks alot!

15. Monica says:

I’m a nail tech in Fresno ca I was very sceptical about shellac ,I have worked with gel for 7 yrs now I’m good at it and love gel but all the colored gel iv tried before shellac were awful so i resisted the investment . one of the stylist’s in my salon got it for her nails and asked me to put it on for her. but we didn’t have the base coat, it was on back order so I prepared the nail the way i would for a gel set very very clean nail plate and checked on them every day. this stylist works 5days a week 12hr a day she must wash 8or9 heads of hair a day. at the end of one week her nails looked like i just did them and i was soled. so now i have it all but 2 colors and all the the stylist in my salon are shellac’d now and several clients to .I’m so excited i just cant Wait to get to work to tell some one new about this wonderful new product. F Y I, to those tecks having problems curing, they need to make shore that they have brand new bulb’s in there lamps if there used a lot, they need to all be changed even if they still look bright! I change out mine every 5 months. they do weaken.

16. Tracy says:

Hi, I have a salon on the Central Coast and I attended a training session in Sydney yesterday and I have to say I LOVE SHELLAC! This product is going to change the nail industry and bring clients back from all those nail bars.
    We don’t offer artificial nail enhancements so SHELLAC is fanastic for our clients, who are eagerly waiting to enjoy permanent polish and no damage! Thanks CND for this amazing product. :)

17. enails says:

Our salon has had the Shellac for about a month or so. Some of the techs are having problems the the product staying on. One tech uses polish remover to clean the nail plate and uses Bondex after clean nail. Some techs use alochol and Bond-aid is this the reason the products are not staying? The tech that uses polish remover and bondex does not seem to be having problems. Please Help!!

18. b rios says:

About the problems with Shellac staying on. Have you downloaded the step-by-steps from the CND site? and if you look at the FB page there are a lot of links for video how-to’s as well. ScrubFresh , Thin coats of Shellac and CND’s lamps are the key. if you still have problems ask on the FB discussion board and someone will help you. The product does work!

19. Renee says:

For the problems with adherance, i simply “mini-prep” the nails. Buff off the natural shine but only with a soft sponge buffer. Only takes a second and it’s worth the results. I love the Shellac products. I even think I might be able to get some clients to grow natural nails for the first time ever! It’s like a mini nail enhancement…:)

20. Barb says:

I found out about Shellac when visiting my best friend in CA. I was so excited I contacted my nail tech in FL to tell her to check into this product. She ended up buying the product at the show in Orlando. I believe it is a great product, but I am experiencing chipping at the tips and lifting around the cuticle area within a week. What could be causing this problem? Also do you have any suggestions I could pass along to my nail tech to help improve the application so it would last longer…so of my friends informed me they experienced similar issues only getting about 4 days of wear! I believe this is a good product so I will not give up so easily! Thank you

21. shari says:

i have been using biosculpture color gels. I loved the product at first and was amazed at the way it held up. They also claim to be hypoallergenic but in a short time I have developed a severe reaction to it and am unable to use it anymore. Although i love the idea of the shellac I am afraid to invest in it due to my allergy. Have you had any problems with any nail techs developing an allergic reaction to it? Thank you

22. Sheila says:

Wow I went to Hair Healers in Miami and the manicurist
    Was great she really know how to use the product

23. Kelly Melanitou says:

@Norma Klein:
    You can contact one of our Education Ambassadors located in Texas and ask them about any class you may be interested in. Here are their email addresses:

Connie Harbour – Dallas, TX
    connie.harbour@cndeducation.com

Daphnye Shaffer – Baytown, TX
    daphnye.shaffer@cndeducation.com

Stephanie Johnson – Keller, TX
    stephanie.johnson@cndeducation.com

Janet Williams – Spring, TX
    janet.williams@cndeducation.com

Ann Mercer – Cibolo, TX
    ann.mercer@cndeducation.com

Hope this helps. Happy Shellacking!

Kelly Melanitou
    Team CND

24. Kelly Melanitou says:

@barb:
    You need to wipe off the inhibition layer at the end of your service with 99% IPA. I am sure you found out by now, but I wanted to make sure…

Kelly Melanitou
    Team CND

25. Kelly Melanitou says:

@enails:
    All you need to do before Shellac application is to remove the cuticle and use Scrubfresh (or the equivalent product you may be using) to clean and sanitize the nail plate. Do not use any other products on the nail (like primer-like products) because they will interfere with the product adhering properly to the natural nail.

Happy Shellacking!

Kelly Melanitou
    Team CND

26. Kelly Melanitou says:

@Barb:
    Let your nail tech know about the CND site and the step-by-step for Shellac that she can find there. I am sure it will help a lot and solve any problems she may have. And can always contact CND to find out about classes!

Kelly Melanitou
    Team CND

27. Joyce says:

I want to know if others are having problems with Shellac. The first time I got it while on vacation I loved it! When I returned home there was only one salon in my area that had it. I went and had it replaced and the send time 7 out of the 10 nails bubbled on the sides. The salon replaced it free after 6 days and I had a different color. The bubbles have returned and I’m going to get it removed today! I’m also concerned how my nails will look after I have it removed. They seemed like they would be dull and have white spots on the when replaced. They said it may have to do with nail dryness. I really like the idea that they don’t chip, etc. but need to get the bubble problem fixed! I also sent an email to CND and haven’t received a reply yet.

Joyce,

When you say bubbles…can you be a bit more specific? Is it peeling up on the sides? If that is the case the product could be too close to the skin or to thick on the sides. Try going thinner with each coat and keeping a tiny free margin all the way around the skin areas.

In regards to the removal of Shellac: If you have seen any white spots it’s typically slight temporary dehydration. Regular use of Solar Oil twice a day will help eliminate dryness and keep the cuticles and surrounding tissue soft and moisturized. As well as improve wearability of all nail coatings.

28. alison dockerty says:

hi i have just found out about shellac polish i live in england a client told me about it today asked me if i do it are there any courses for it in england yet would be grateful for any information

Alison,

Where are you located in England. I will have someone contact you about education courses.

29. Nina Tran says:

I have been using Cnd Shellac for two months and have been experiencing bubbling with the gels. Especially when I use Fedora and Iced Cappucino. Please help me resolve this situation. Thank you

Nina,

Shake the bottles thoroughly approximately 30 sec prior to using and use very thin coats. This should help. Let us know how it goes.

30. Nina Tran says:

I have requested to have my nail salon added to the salon list. I have emailed and called. I was told to wait 5 days but I haven’t seen any changes yet.
    Phone: 773-549-2990 Thank you

Nina,

We sent you an email message as will with the information on how to get on the Shellac Salon locator.

You can post your information at:

Please provide the following information and select one of the 4 options below. (Please allow 10-14 days for processing)
      Salon Name
      Address
      Phone
      Nail Professional names
      Optional….website & email

31. Amanda says:

My girlfriend lost her toes nails when she younger. Her toe nails never grew back and it does run in her family. can shellac polish be put on just the skin?? or will the removal process damage her skin????

Amanda,

Shellac will not adhere to the skin and we do not recommend it as we don’t want to overexpose our clients by getting it on the skin.

32. amanda says:

thank u. do u have any solutions????

33. Angel says:

I have been reading the hype about Shellac and it seems like the eighth wonder of the world. Just a pity us in SA just cannot seem to get hold of it. Although we are rated as a third world country, there are some people who are interested in the latest technology. Some feedback regarding the constant non-availability of certain crucial products will be appreciated, and please: no more lies!

Angel,

??Production volumes continue to accelerate with multiple shipments of Shellac hitting the CND distribution center last week. At the same time, demand continues to increase. We are still chasing orders but making significant progress. We anticipate that we will be completely caught up (meaning no stock outages) by late November. Until then, we will continue to ship Shellac weekly on a first-come first-served basis. Please bear in mind that our current rate of production is more than four times our original plan.??

Our distributors are also striving to get Shellac to their customers as quickly as possible. Most are managing a list of orders and when they receive Shellac, they are fulfilling these orders on a first-come first-served basis as well. Very few stores will have excess inventory to stock their store shelves for a few more weeks.?? Transit time may be a factor for you, so keep checking back with your distributor.

34. How do I get the while on the french manicure to look more even.It seems to be thick in spots, and the more I try to thin it out the worse it gets.
    Yhank you Debie Reyerse

35. jackie says:

I recently got shellac done in a different salon than normaland its been on for3 days nowandlooks bubbly,streaky and has chipped on twonails.what could be the cause of this

Jackie,

It sounds as if the bottles of Shellac weren’t shaken properly. When not shaken the pigment settles and can cause streaking, shrinking and chipping.

36. Simone says:

I went to a salon get a shellac manicure three days ago and was unhappy with the result as the beautician didn’t do the best job on painting my French tips. I went back to do them and opted for just a colour instead. I’m slightly happier with this one however I’ve noticed that there seems to be tiny holes which could be bubbles on some of the nails. I’ve also noticed a dent in one of them. What would the bubbles be caused by? And should my shellac nails even be able to dent?

Simone,

More than likely the Isopropyl Alcohol that was used was not 99%. Work with your salon on troubleshooting this problem.

37. Meagan says:

I have been practicing the shellac for almost a month now. The only color I am having problem with is Fedora. It seems to be shrinking on the sides, and sometimes(but not always) not curing right on some select nails. I really need a solution to this problem! Any ideas? Also, is it possible to cure the nails too long?and does the darker color need to be cured longer than the lighter ones?

Megan,

Shake every bottle of Shellac for 30sec prior to application
      The key to Shellac is thin coats on every layer. When Fedora is applied the first coat should appear slightly transparent. The second coat will give you your coverage.
      All Shellac Color coats are cured for 2 min regardless of color. There is no need to cure for longer than 2 minutes per color coat.

38. Meagan says:

is it ok to use acetone/alchohol/scrubfresh/and or bondaid before applying shellac? Also is it ok to use cuticle remover before applying schellac, if properly removed before applying the shellac coats?

Meagan,

Here is a link to the Shellac Step-by-Steps
      ScrubFresh is key as a temporary dehydrator applied prior to Shellac application. Acetone, alcohol or other products outside the CND system are not recommended.
      Cuticle away is recommended to remove cuticle off of the nail plate. Rinse with soapy water.

39. I love the Shellac, It has totally sent my business in a different direction, Thank you!!

40. Nadeen says:

I have had this done a few times within days a few nails begin to peel at the tip of the nail? thoughts ideas. I want to help my nail tech she has other customers who it stays on for some it doesnt….

41. Lynn says:

My Shellac manicure chips after 5 days. The first Shellac manicure I had lasted 9 days before chipping. SInce then the longest it has lasted is 5 days. By the 14th day I usually have five or six nails that are chipped. I have tried everything and decided it is not my fault. It has to be the technician. But it is a very nice, expensive salon ($55 for a Shellac manicure), and it’s hard to believe they don’t know what they are doing. She says they never received any training. They are “still learning”, in her words (at my expense). But over the past 10 weeks I have spent over $300 there, and I’m done. The chipping has weakened my nails. Every time I complain, the technicial gives a different recommendation. First she recommended putting cuticle oil under my nails. That didn’t help. Then she said that cuticle oil makes it worse, so I shouldn’t use cuticle oil. Then she said we should keep my nails short. Then the next time she said short nails ship faster. I’m over it. I want it to work, but it doesn’t for me. Is there a way to find a decent Shellac manicurist who actually knows how to do it? Why did no one receive training?

42. Lynn,
    I’m sorry to hear you are not having the usual results with Shellac. CND is doing the best they can to get classes in as many areas as possible, however not all salons opt to take a class and not everyone is willing to travel to a class. CND is currently recruiting specifically to increase the number of educators in different locations to help salons learn to use Shellac properly.

Solar Oil is a must for your nails, always. Your nails are made of similar proteins to your hair. How often do you wash your hair without conditioning it? How many times a day do you wash your hands? Solar Oil is conditioner for your nails; it also contains carrier molecules that allow it to penetrate nail polish, Shellac, and enhancements to keep your natural nail more flexible. Even if your nails are naked Solar Oil is a VERY good idea 2-3 times a day.

As for the length, Shellac can work on longer nails IF you do not use your nails as tools and if you are faithful with your Solar Oil use. Short nails can be beneficial in preventing breaks in the stress area if you are hard on your nails.

If you decide to give it another go, check the salon listing at cnd.com to find a Shellac salon, call and ask if they have had a class, if they use the CND lamp, and if they advise you use Solar Oil. The answers to those questions should hopefully help you feel more secure in your decision to try again. If you would not mind privately emailing me the name and contact information of the salon you visited, I would be happy to contact them with some Shellac online learning resources. holly.schippers at cndeducation.com

I used Shellac for 3 months and loved it in the beginning. Always has a little chip but not a bid deal. Then around the 4th application, I started getting bubbling of first one nail. With each new application, more nails would have the “delamination” on more nails. I read this blog and it said to use Solar Oil. I did but didn’t change the fact that more nails were bubbling the shellac. Finally I decided to give it a rest. For a month and a half, my nails have been horrible. Splitting, breaking and two nails have actually “shrunk back way from the edge of the finger. For the last 2 days I have had pink spots on the nails that lasted 3 days. Please give me some advice to get my nails back to their original conditions.

44. Michelle,
    Do you use Solar Oil 2-3 times a day massaging it in? Were the nails buffed? How was the Shellac removed? I need to help troubleshoot the why to determine a course of action.

Yes, I have been using the oil. Nails were very lightly buffed the first couple of times really only to make sure all of the shellac residue was off. Shellac was removed with the pads and then with an orange stick. They told me not to pull off the bubbling polish. Thanks so much for your help.

M

46. So the polish was bubbling not your actual nail? Was oil applied before the Shellac was applied? Buffing should generally not be needed to remove residue, it should come off clean. What are your nails usually like without Shellac? Have you ever worn enhancements? (acrylic, gel, etc.) Keep using the Solar Oil 2-3 times a day to help keep the nail flexible. Can you email me a photo of your nails? holly.schippers at cndeducation.com I would like to see them to get a better idea what to suggest for helping them.

47. Beth says:

I discovered Shellac about 2 months ago! Fell in love instantly with the fact that my nails looked great for 2 weeks! I have them do the french manicure, never have used a color. Then after the third time of getting my nails done, I have had 3 nails break right where my white meets the natural color. I have always had nice hard nails, but I now I feel they are weakening. But my biggest problem is the swollen sore finger pads I have now from soaking my fingers in acetone to get the polish off. They are red and swollen around the fingernail and my finger tips are sore.

48. Is there buffing on the surface of the nail? Are you being soaked in a bowl of acetone instead of wrapped in the remover wraps? Do you use Solar Oil 2-3 times a day at home? Have you shared these concerns with the salon?

49. Lilly says:

I am having the worst time with Shellac at the local nail salon I go to. I have had it done 2 x now, and both times I have started chipping after 2 days. I am looking at my nails now, and it has only been a week and they look awful. Chips on 5 of the nails! What could be the problem?

Lilly,

It could be several things to include:

Too thick application.
      Not shaking the bottle prior to application.
      Preparing of the natural nail.
      Not using Solar Oil twice a day.
      Exposing nails to cleaning products or solvents
      Not wearing gloves while cleaning.

Anything matching up to your scenario?

50. Kristel says:

I too have experienced chipping and what I would describe as rippling along the edges of the nails. Also, I have some dents which look similar to what a regular manicure looks like if it gets bumped before fully dry. This was the second attempt at the same salon. I called when I experienced problems with chipping, rippling etc. They asked me to come back so they could redo the shellac. It looked great in the light in the spa and then when I got home I noticed all the rippling etc. Both times I used Fedora. I’m frustrated, but I think it’s more to do with lack of training in this spa than an issue with the product. I had it done twice in another spa and was extremely pleased with it. I’m not sure if I should make another complaint, or just live with it and go somewhere else where they have more experience with shellac.

Kristel,

It sounds like the application is thick. When applying Fedora the first coat should be semi-transparent.

Sincerely,